Lots of assortedness:
- Airships. I love airships and The Atlantic has some nice photos.
- Earth-sized Lava World has been discovered
- Stone Lake – so called because it petrifies (literally) animals.Awesome, awesome, awesome setting, as Realmwright points out. I do have some doubts about the validity of this, and even if it actually works about the details mentioned on Gizmodo, but for a fantasy / sci fi story, you can always bend reality enough to make use of it.
- Living on the Ocean: For your waterworlds.
- Piracy pays: If you need to rationalize piracy in a modern or a Sci Fi setting, then Somalia is your friend.
- Technovelgy is an old site that keeps track of reality’s imitation of science fiction.
- As many as one in five suns may host habitable planets.
- Abandoned toy factories – Creepy dolls everywhere make for an awesome setting
- Is it right to waste Helium on party balloons? – Interesting thoughts, plus: It turns out the US had a strategic helium reserve established in the time of airships. What awesome plot point that would make…