So, let’s get cracking on our new project. Enderra 2020 is the follow-up to Enderra 2015, which failed due to, essentially, two reasons. One, I focused a lot of my time on other things (my YouTube channel, mainly), and Two, the time I had for world-building was spent all over the place. As an old nerd, I have to admit that I simply can’t invest as many hours in my hobbies as I could 20 years ago.
To ensure E2020 does not suffer the same fate, it’s important to actually set a specific goal, a time-frame, and approach the whole thing with at least a rough plan.
- Goal: Produce a self-contained Enderra “world book” that allows someone who has never read about Enderra to use it as a setting for their home-grown campaigns.
- Timeframe: It’s “Enderra 2020”, so the goal is one year from now: May 31st, 2020. I’ll allow a maximum buffer until December 31st, 2020.
- Outline: I have a rough outline, a list of topics I want to cover in the world book. This should help focus my efforts.
- Release: As each section/chapter is finished, it will be published on this blog. The “release early, release often” approach. Hopefully this also allows me to get some feedback on what’s already there. (Hint, hint.)
- Clean slate: Well, sort of. Enderra has changed over the years, sometimes driven in one direction, sometimes in another. All material older than this post is essentially “non canon” (as they say) and I’ll simply go with whatever design I feel is best now. At the same time, re-inventing the wheel is pointless, and Enderra will still be built on the same foundations.
- Quantity: I don’t want to set a hard goal on page- or word count. However, goals need to be measurable. So let’s roughly aim for something that’s the size of one of the old GURPS World Books (do they still make these?), so about 128 pages (US Letter sized).
It’s probably fairly ambitious to write a book like this in a year, but then again, I have a ton of existing material stashed on my hard drive. We’ll give it the old college try.
It’s gonna be fun. Hope to see you along for the ride!