A few years ago, around the time I first started this blog, Paul Stark created a series of Podcasts dealing with story-centric worldbuilding. Unfortunately Shakespeare & Dragons faded and died, and now even the website is gone. This is a shame because it was a good show, with great advice for writers and gamers alike.
To prevent the show from becoming lost, I decided to create a link archive here (with Paul’s blessing).
I don’t host any of the files myself. I do not include the two-part episode on monster building, because it was only available to donors and Paul has not agreed to let me publish them yet. Please let me know if any links break and I will upload my own hosted versions.
- Episode 1 – World of the Story
- Episode 2 – Power of Tone and Emotional Effects on the Story World
- Episode 3 – Economy of the World and the Needs of the Characters
- Episode 4 – Objectives of Worldbuilding and an Introduction to the Designer’s Workshop
- Episode 5 – Premise of Your Story World
- Episode 6 – Thematic Subjects of Your Story World
- Episode 7 – Character Design Using Your Thematic Subjects
- Episode 8 – Plot Part One, Shapes and Structure
- Episode 9 – Plot Part Two, Scene Construction and a Look at the Worldbuilding of The Incredibles
- Episode 10 – Plot Part Three, Structuring Plot from Character Desires and Forces of Antagonism
- Episode 11 – Plot Part Three, Structuring Plot from Character Desires and Forces of Antagonism
- Episode 12 – Setting Part One, Geography, Power Structures and Culture
- Episode 13 – Setting Part Two, Creating Cultural Attributes
- Episode 14 – Setting Part Three, Using Image Systems
- Episode 15 – The Party
- Episode 16 – The Missing Ingredient
The following are PDF exports from the original Shakespeare & Dragons website – they’re not very pretty but they’ll do. I will prettify them eventually, one after the other, as time permits.
- SnD 001 – World of the Story (Cleaned-up Version)
- SnD 002 – Power of Tone and Emotional Effects on the Story World (Cleaned-up Version)
- SnD 003 – Economy of the World and the Needs of Characters (Cleaned-up Version)
- Worldbuilding Ep. 004_ Objectives of Worldbuilding
- Worldbuilding Ep. 005_ Premise of Your Story World
- Worldbuilding Ep. 006_ Thematic Subjects of Your Story World
- Worldbuilding Ep. 007_ Character Design Using Your Thematic Subjects
- Worldbuilding Ep. 008_ Plot Part One, Shapes and Structure
- Worldbuilding Ep. 009_ Plot Part Two, Scene Construction
- Worldbuilding Ep. 010_ Plot Part Three, Structuring Plot from Character Desires and Forces of Antagonism
- Worldbuilding Ep. 011_ Seven Steps to Thinking, Breathing, Bleeding, Scheming Heroes and Villains
- Worldbuilding Ep. 012_ Setting Part One, Geography, Power Structures and Culture
- Worldbuilding Ep. 013_ Setting Part Two, Creating Cultural Attributes
- Worldbuilding Ep. 014_ Setting Part Three, Using Image Systems
- Worldbuilding Ep. 015_ The Party
These firefly diagrams are for show #15.
I have not posted Paul’s Monster creation workshop, since he used to only give that to people who donated money, but I hope to convince him to give permission to post that as well.
Big “Thank you!” to Paul for creating the show and of course for authorizing this archive!