It’s been a while, hasn’t it? My apologies. All I wanted was migrate to a new host, and then… things happen. And then other things did. And then it was Wednesday. And then suddenly 2019. You know how that works, right?
I’ve been absent from RPGs, world building, and writing for way too long. I never really stopped creating, just didn’t post much anymore.
I intend to do an overhaul of the site, clean up some of the older stuff, but above all… just get all these damned ideas out of my head and onto, well, what passes for paper these day.
Here is what’s changed so far.
- New header image: I changed header images around a bit, I am somewhat happy with the current one. The “Martian” one was too science fiction specific. And I really used the snow one long enough.
- Improved Shakespeare & Dragons Archive: All of the MP3s are now hosted on Google Drive.
- Better archive sidebar: Collapsing list for the archives in the sidebar for easier navigation.
- Advertisement free: Removed adsense and analytics. Added a cookie consent bar for the WordPress cookies.
- New categories: Tried my best to re-organize the site. The new categories are:
- Worldbuilding: Everything related to worldbuilding. Methods, techniques, and so on.
- Worlds: Posts directly covering the worlds I design. One sub-category for each world/setting.
- RPG: Posts related to role-playing games.
- Plot-a-Day: All posts with plot ideas
- New host: Updated software, new host, all sparkly and shiny. (I hope..)
- Site Optimizations: I did some tech stuff and Enderra.com went from a Google Page Speed Insight score of 14 to 84 – a huge improvement. I hope this is notable to visitors, too.
- Deleted a bunch of old, minor posts: I’ve deleted a whole bunch of older posts – basically applying what I call the “Twitter test”. If a blog post would work better as a tweet, it got removed. I did make some exceptions where I thought something was worth keeping.
- Other Worlds: Likewise, I went through some of the older settings and removed a lot of cruft. Where posts were worth-while to keep, I put them into a new category – “Other Worlds“. This usually means there’s less than a half-dozen posts about a given world.
- All the Links: Over the years, I posted “monthly” about new links I found. Needless to say, many of those links are broken, outdated, et cetera. And even for those that aren’t, I can’t imagine anybody actually going through all those old posts. So I’ve collected them on one page and will subsequently verify them all.
I’m still not happy with the state of Enderra.com but it’s a big improvement.
Update, 2020-01-09: Amazingly, it’s been almost half a year again. Well, I’ve not been entirely idle. I’ve continually cleaned up the blog. Changed the header again, optimized page speed, but above all, I’ve removed small, pointless posts, fixed a bunch of tags and categories, added a bunch of “featured images” to posts – that kind of stuff.